Sunday, September 14, 2008

Teacher...

Thinking back, was there a teacher(s) or a class that had a great influence on you?
DAN:
One of my favorite teachers was my high school Algebra and Calculus teacher, Mr. Jensen. Though on in his years, he gave his all to teaching and loving his students through these awkward and frustrating years. Mr. Jensen would get to school sometimes hours before the first bell rang and stay later into the evening to help students with needs. I never felt like I was one of those students, but he still made me feel like I was important to him, and could call on him whenever I needed. Every year, Mr. Jensen would write a personal letter to each of his students. He seemed to know me well, and connected with me well, which is interesting looking back because I never really did spend a lot of time with him one on one. I imagine that to most any other teacher I was just another student in the class whose name he had to memorize, but Mr. Jensen made me feel important and worthwhile. To a growing kid, that can mean a lot… and looking back, I see how easy it is to make someone feel special. Just show a little love to those in need, and they will remember you years down the road – just like Mr. Jensen.

LAURIE:
One of my all-time favorite Young Women’s leaders was named Marge Sanders. Her daughter Kathy was one of my best friends in elementary school and middle school. I spent countless hours at the Sanders’ house playing with Kathy and participating in church activities. Marge was one of those “cool” moms that everyone wants. She even let me and Kathy sneak chocolate chips to eat outside in their playhouse. But, the most valuable thing Sister Sanders gave me wasn’t the chocolate…. She helped me understand the importance of applying gospel principles to everyday situations. Here’s an example… One year at Girl’s Camp I got into a petty little fight with some of the other girls. As a result, I was reluctant to participate in many activities and spoke little during the camp. I remember that Sister Sanders took me aside and said, “Laurie, forgive and forget!” For some reason that simple sentence really struck me and has stuck with me. Many times now when I am faced with situations where I could choose to hold a grudge or move on, Marge’s words ring loud and clear in my head. Marge had a profound influence on my young adult life and I will always be grateful for her.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Mr. Jensen too! He was older...for sure...but he was so alive with personality and love for the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love getting to know you guys. Here's a question, what's your first childhood memory?

    ReplyDelete