Saturday, September 6, 2008

Getting to Know Us...

Dan and I have been answering questions from a jar... Look for responses in upcoming posts. I think you'll like me better than him after you get to know me a little more...

Between the ages of 5-10, what was your favorite activity?
LAURIE:
As a little girl there was nothing I liked better than playing Secret Du Agents with Janie and Darin. Countless hours were spent loading mine and Jane’s pink Barbie suitcases with all our necessary mystery-solving and crime-fighting gadgets. We used everything from McDonald’s Happy Meal toys to wooden spools to empty tubes of lipstick to become the Secret Du Agents. Of course, we were almost always accompanied by our trusty dog, Darin. After packing our suitcases, we set off on long flights (via the sofa) to track down criminals like Vic the Slick. Once on the plane, our secret helpers (the Happy Meal toys) worked as informants to help us know which of our arch nemeses were on our same flight. It usually didn’t take long for us to devise a plan, use our gadgets, and capture the criminal. All in a day’s work for the Secret Du Agents!

DAN:
When I was about that age, I loved playing "Cheetah". The game usually happened during recess, with a few of my close friends, while I went to Hillcrest Elementary in Orem, Utah. I particularly remember one time when the oak leaves had changed colors and fallen to the ground. A few of my guy friends and I would be cheetahs, and a few girls would be our moms – naturally! Well, they would build "nests" for us out of fallen oak leaves (what cheetah doesn't live in a nest made of leaves?), and find us "food" to eat (usually some sort of grass or weed). Let's just say that I don't remember having eaten any of that "food". Thank goodness. I remember being the fastest cheetah, and able to sprint the fastest on all fours. It took a lot of practice, but it was well worth it. The fresh Utah Fall air was enough to make this a valuable memory, and every once in a while I see those cheetah spots reminding me of simpler times.

4 comments:

  1. Two posts in one week?!? I think I'm liking Laurie more already!! Cute idea you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea you got engaged! That's awesome Dan! I'm happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun questions! And I like the new look!

    Me? 5-10...playing outside in Minnesota. I loved our creek, building forts, climbing trees, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Friday I was thinking about Cheetahs. My kids were playing "doggies" much the same way you and I used to play cheetah...Yes, we used to play that at home too.
    Laurie, what fun to play secret agents... my kids have learned to use the couch as transportation but haven't gotten to the level of secret agents yet... though they do like to get the bad guys.
    Just think....once you have kids, you can do all this over again :-)

    ReplyDelete