Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Favorite Visit So Far

Last night was probably my favorite visit so far to see Hyrum. There were a few new developments in way of his progress. His dopamine is down to "5" which is the lowest we've seen it. He was also able to process a little milk, as evidenced by one of his first dirty diapers. The visit was so much fun! When we got there it was time to change the linens in his bed and give him a little sponge bath. The nurses let me help. I got to hold him up while they switched his blankets. I also helped wash his legs during his sponge bath. It was so awesome to get to do a few "mom things" with him!


One interesting fact Dan and I learned last night is that because of the way the tubes are positioned in Hyrum's throat, he doesn't make any noise when he cries. The tubes block the vocal chords from vibrating correctly. So, last night during his bath, he was screaming, but no noise was coming out. It was actually pretty funny.

Well, we're off to the hospital again this morning so we should have more info later this afternoon!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear he is continuing to improve! I hope you are taking care of yourself while everyone is looking after him. You are a strong woman! I'm so happy for you to be a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a beautiful boy & looks strong & healthy! I hope things keep going well & that you get to do some more "mom" things with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat thing! Makes one appreciate that much more getting to do the "mom" things. Thanking God that you had such a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie--you are so cute in that picture with him. There really is nothing like a new born baby--and we are so glad that he's doing better. In family prayer this morning Christopher said, "And please help us to bless Laurie's baby to feel better...and please help us to help Laurie know that we love her..." It was so cute and of course, made me tear up--those are the moments we live for as moms! I love you!

    ReplyDelete